Romania is a fully regulated gambling market with clear rules and licensing requirements. Success in this growing market will also give you a stable base from which to branch out into other markets as well. In his latest column, Ayvar Gabidullin, Business Development Manager at Slotegrator, shares insights on the benefits of opening an online casino in Romania.
Romania’s iGaming potential is increasingly coming to the forefront. Online casinos and sportsbooks that set up shop in the Eastern European country not only have a valuable market at their fingertips, but they’ve also established a solid base from which to scale their business and expand into other markets.
Here are a few reasons why Romania is a prime destination for online casinos and sportsbooks:
- An ONJN license is a mark of quality. Romania’s National Gaming Authority, the ONJN, offers three types of licenses. A first-class license allows B2C operators to offer their services in the country, while a second-class license (which Slotegrator holds) enables B2B suppliers to offer their products in the market. The third-class license is held by the Romanian National Lottery. All three have earned a solid reputation in the eyes of players and software providers, providing a clear path to success for whoever holds one — players trust the ONJN seal, and payment service providers are happy to cooperate with brands holding the ONJN license.
- A big and growing market. Romania is one of the most active gambling markets in Eastern Europe, with a total GGR of about €900 million per year. This is due to the country’s 20-million-strong population, 88% internet penetration rate, and economic health — Romania’s economy ranks 13th among EU countries in terms of GDP. Furthermore, gambling is considered a perfectly acceptable pastime, meaning there’s no cultural barrier between players and the good time they’re looking for.
- Tech-friendly population. The Romanian audience is considered to be one of the most technologically literate in the world. Due to the widespread familiarity with technology, Bucharest is becoming something of a tech hub, with numerous iGaming companies setting up shop to take advantage of the Romanians’ embrace of innovation — and that attitude permeates the culture, players included.
- Romanian players love bonuses. For many Romanian players, bonuses are a huge draw. Welcome bonuses, no-deposit bonuses, friend referral bonuses, free spins, and free bets are all ample encouragement for Romanian players, simplifying marketing and promotion.
- Responsible Gambling. The government has established a special fund to enforce certain rules aimed at preventing problem gambling. This is an important aspect of the gambling ecosystem, and in Romania, it is treated very seriously.
When combined, all the factors listed above make Romania a fantastic choice for new entrepreneurs looking to launch their brand or established casinos looking to expand into exciting new markets. For newcomers, Romania presents a great opportunity to establish a solid base from which they can later scale their business and enter other markets.
Leading iGaming solution provider and aggregator Slotegrator received a B2B license from the Romanian regulator ONJN in 2022, which allows the company to operate in the Romanian market and offer locally accredited Turnkey and White Label online casino and sportsbook platform solutions.
To learn more about the Romanian market, watch the new video from Slotegrator Academy experts with the latest news and details.