The week is starting out exactly how we expect.
- The SPY and indices stuck in the trading range within a trading range.
- The latest economic data weak, hence causing buyers to return to the market, figuring bad news is good news.
- Four of the 6 Economic Modern Family members in a bullish phase with Transportation in the lead.
- High-yield bonds holding recent gains.
- EVs still in vogue, with Tesla (TSLA) in the lead while Rivian (RIVN) strengthens ahead of earnings this week.
Which brings us to our Complete Trader Scanner and Aluminum.
Given the recent sell-off in aluminum, copper and steel, industrial metals remain overall outperformers. Not only is this a good sign for the economy, but also speaks to continuing raw material shortages and the ever-growing mass adoption of electric vehicles.
Note the columns in the MarketGauge tracker.
Considering the range of the indices and our bullish bias in commodities, one of our scans is for Bullish Continuation Stocks. I particularly like to see stocks that are in a bullish phase, plus positive in our Triple Play indicator. And we want to see good momentum in our Real Motion Indicator.
For Century Aluminum (CENX), we like that it is a material (sector we are bullish). Furthermore, it crossed the 10-daily moving average for one day as of last Friday. Additionally, CENX is trading above its 6-month calendar range (seasonal) and had a positive stack in its floor trader pivots.
On the Daily chart, a move and close over 11.50 looks like a good follow-through buy opportunity. We see this stock potentially rising by about 40% if it breaks out.
And, in case you missed it, please read our Crypto Pulse Update, U.S. Regulators are Coming Down Hard on Crypto. Yet, as Holden points out, Crypto Charts Have Mixed Signals.
For more detailed trading information about our blended models, tools and trader education courses, contact Rob Quinn, our Chief Strategy Consultant, to learn more.
IT’S NOT TOO LATE! Click here if you’d like a complimentary copy of Mish’s 2023 Market Outlook E-Book in your inbox.
Follow Mish on Twitter @marketminute for stock picks and more. Follow Mish on Instagram (mishschneider) for daily morning videos. To see updated media clips, click here.
See Mish sit down with Amber Kanwar of BNN Bloomberg to discuss the current market conditions and some picks.
Click here to watch Mish and StockCharts.com’s David Keller join Jared Blikre as they discuss trading, advice to new investors, crypto, and AI on Yahoo Finance.
In her latest video for CMC Markets, MarketGauge’s Mish Schneider shares insights on the gold, the S&P 500 and natural gas and what traders can expect as the markets remain mixed.
Mish and Charles talk food inflation and the Metaverse on Making Money with Charles Payne!
See Mish present “Best Trade, Worst Trade, Next Trade” on Business First AM.
Mish shares insights on the US Dollar, euro, gold and natural gas in this appearance on CMC Markets.
Mish shares three charts she is using to measure inflation using the commodities markets on the Wednesday, February 14 edition of StockCharts TV’s The Final Bar with David Keller!
Mish gives you some ideas of what might outperform in this new wave of inflation on the Friday, February 10 edition of StockCharts TV’s Your Daily Five. She has picks from energy, construction, gold, defense, and raw materials.
Read about Mish’s interview with Neils Christensen in this article from Kitco!
- S&P 500 (SPY): 390 support with 405 closest resistance.
- Russell 2000 (IWM): MA support around 184. 190 has to clear.
- Dow (DIA): 326 support, 335 resistance.
- Nasdaq (QQQ): 300 the pivotal area, 290 major support; 284 big support, 300 resistance.
- Regional Banks (KRE): 65.00 resistance, 61 support.
- Semiconductors (SMH): 228 support, 240 pivotal, 248 key resistance; 248 resistance, 237 then 229 support.
- Transportation (IYT): 235 resistance as best Mod Fam performer and 228 support.
- Biotechnology (IBB): 125-130 new range.
- Retail (XRT): 66-68 huge area to hold if the market still has legs.
Director of Trading Research and Education
Mish Schneider serves as Director of Trading Education at MarketGauge.com. For nearly 20 years, MarketGauge.com has provided financial information and education to thousands of individuals, as well as to large financial institutions and publications such as Barron’s, Fidelity, ILX Systems, Thomson Reuters and Bank of America. In 2017, MarketWatch, owned by Dow Jones, named Mish one of the top 50 financial people to follow on Twitter. In 2018, Mish was the winner of the Top Stock Pick of the year for RealVision.